Any type of scrap metal left over from consumption or product manufacturing can be recycled and fabricated into new, usable metal products. Scrap metal recycling in Calgary and all over the world is an important industry that provides many economic opportunities for everyone from multinational corporations to individual scrappers looking to make some money. Local businesses such as Calgary’s Federal Metals Inc. are also involved in the scrap metal industry.
Scrap metal has a high monetary value because it is easier, faster, cheaper, and more environmentally friendly to recycle metal than to mine for and process virgin ore. Recycling also generates more jobs than mining. Some of the most commonly recycled metals in the world and what their exports are valued at are: iron ($22.9B), copper ($12.4B), aluminum ($8.81B), stainless steel ($4.53B), nickel ($446M), lead ($444M), zinc ($412M), and tin ($90.2M).
Let’s take a look at the world leaders in the export and import of these metals.
Top Scrap Metal Export Countries
– Steel: the United States, Germany, Japan, the Netherlands, and the United Kingdom.
– Copper: the United States, Germany, the United Kingdom, France, and the Netherlands.
– Aluminum: the United States, Germany, Canada, the United Kingdom, and France.
– Stainless steel: Germany, the Netherlands, the United States, France, and Canada.
– Nickel: the United States, the United Kingdom, Germany, South Korea, and France.
– Lead: the United Kingdom, France, the United States, the Netherlands, and Australia.
– Zinc: France, Germany, the Netherlands, the United States, and Belgium.
– Tin: Germany, the United States, Belgium, the Netherlands, and Canada.
Top Scrap Metal Import Countries
– Steel: Turkey, India, Belgium, South Korea, and Spain.
– Copper: China, Germany, South Korea, Belgium, and Japan.
– Aluminum: China, India, Germany, South Korea, and the United States.
– Stainless steel: Belgium, India, the Netherlands, Spain, and Germany.
– Nickel: the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Germany, and Japan.
– Lead: India, Spain, Belgium, Bulgaria, and Poland.
– Zinc: India, Italy, Belgium, Germany, and France.
– Tin: Poland, the Netherlands, Belgium, the United States, and Germany.
As you can see, the United States is consistently one of the top exporters of each kind of scrap metal considered here. Europe as a whole is also a prolific scrap metal exporter, with the European leaders being Germany, the United Kingdom, France, and the Netherlands. China and India are consistently among the world’s leaders in scrap metal imports, though numerous countries which also export scrap metal are often found at the top of those lists as well, such as the United States, Germany, and the Netherlands.
Where to Recycle Your Scrap Metal in Calgary
If you want to take part in the global scrap metal industry, then you can bring any scrap metal you collect to the Calgary scrap metal recyclers at Federal Metals Inc. Family-owned and operated, Federal Metals Inc. has been recycling metal for almost 70 years. Our Calgary metal suppliers can take both ferrous and non-ferrous scrap off your hands.
Interested in recycling scrap metal? Contact Federal Metals Inc. for scrap metal prices in Calgary today.